So you’re thinking of opening an Etsy shop – how exciting! You could be the next Etsy success story, selling handmade items to shoppers around the world. But do you know all the important aspects on how to start an Etsy shop?
We’ve got all the tips and tricks you need to get your shop off the ground!
Decide Which Product to Sell on Etsy
The first step is to decide what kind of products you want to sell.
Starting an Etsy shop is a great way to make some extra money while doing something you enjoy. But coming up with the perfect product can be a daunting task.
Obviously you will need to do your own research here, and see what type of items are currently popular on Etsy and what you are capable of doing yourself.
Here are a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing and help you start brainstorming what kind of products you could sell on Etsy that will truly stand out.
1. Personalized gifts. Nothing says “I care” like a personalized present! Whether it’s a monogrammed mug, a customized jewelry box, or an engraved photo frame, people love receiving items that are made just for them.
2. Upcycled creations. If you have an eye for design and enjoy repurposing items, you could turn trash into treasure by creating jewelry, home decor, furniture, and more from found objects.
3. Customized clothing. Whether it’s screen printed t-shirts or hand-knit sweaters, clothes that have a unique message or design are always in high demand. Plus, this is a great way to showcase your DIY skills.
4. Handmade cards. For the sentimental types, there’s nothing quite like a handmade card with a sweet message inside. If you’re good at calligraphy or have an eye for art, this could be the perfect product for your shop.
5. Vintage items. If you’re a fan of all things retro, why not try selling vintage clothing, furniture, jewelry and more on Etsy? You can also offer upcycling services to make these timeless pieces look like new again.
You can find the whole list of Etsy shop categories here.
Then it’s time to get creative. Create some beautiful handmade items that people will love. Once you have your product ideas sorted out, it’s time to set up shop.
Find an Available Etsy Shop Name
To create your online store on Etsy, you first have to decide on your shop name.
Brainstorm some creative and catchy names for your Etsy business, as this is how customers will find you online. You can refer to our list of over 400 Etsy Shop name ideas to get your creative juices flowing.
Create Your Brand Strategy
Next, you’ll need to create your shop’s branding.
Choose a logo for your Etsy name and shop, keep in mind that the color scheme you choose for your logo should be in line with the branding of your online store.
Then choose the site design that reflects the look and feel of your products.
Don’t forget about taking product photos too. Good visuals will help customers form an instant connection with your items.
List Your Products on Etsy
Now it’s time to list your product on Etsy.
Choose a category for each item, provide detailed product descriptions and make sure all of your contact information is included in the listing.
Once everything is ready to go, it’s important to promote your Etsy store so people can find it!
Promote Your Etsy Shop
Share links on social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook, or write blog posts about how amazing your products are.
Whatever you do, just get out there and spread the word!
Finally, don’t forget the importance of customer service. Respond to customers quickly and politely, provide tracking information for orders and do whatever you can to ensure customers have a great experience with your shop.
There you have it – how to start an Etsy shop in a nutshell!
With these simple tips, you have a checklist to start creating an awesome Etsy business that people will love.
No matter what kind of product you decide to create for your Etsy shop or business, the most important thing is to have fun and be creative!
So get started today – who knows how far your Etsy shop could go? Good luck!